Newmarket 15 May 1864 CS
Whilst Grant faced Lee in E. Virginia, he had ordered Sigel, with his army of around 10,000, to advance against Lee's flank down the Shenandoah Valley. Lee took the threat so seriously, that he authorized John C. Breckonridge to mobilize the Virginia Military Institute Cadets in defense of the valley. Breckonridge massed his forces at Staunton in early May, whilst Sigel allowed his forces to become badly strung out. After being pushed back south of Newmarket on the 14th, Breckonridge's small army arrived from Lacey Springs during the night. He attacked the next morning, when he realised how strung out Sigel's forces were. He hit Sigel as the latter was withdrawing his advanced units to try and concentrate his forces. This is where the scenario begins.
Game: begins with US 11.30 turn and finishes with CS 3.00 turn.
Victory: VPs plus 2 points per unspent brigade north of Bushong Farm.
Army List CS
(1. Corps Breckonridge) arrives @ 12.00
(2. Echols Div.) arrives @ 12.00
(3. 22 Viginia 5/4/2) arrives @ 12.00
(4. 23 Virginia 5/3/2) arrives @ 12.00
5. 26 Virginia 4/3/2
6. Wharton's Div. Ex.
7. 30 Virginia 4/3/2
8. 51 Virginia 5/3/2
(10. Imboden's Cav. Div. Ex.) arrives @12.00
(11. 18 Virg. Cav. 5/3/2) arrives @ 12.00 dismounted
16. 23 Virg. Cav. 4/3/2 dismounted
(15. McLanahan's* H.A.Batt) arrives @ 12.00
(12. VMI CadetsEx. 3/2/1 unattach) arrives @ 12.00
9. 62 Virginia 5/3/2 Ex. unattached
13. McLaughlin's Batt.
(14. Berkley's Batt.) arrives @ 12.00
Total: 31 inf. stands, 9 cav. and 4 batteries.